Teachers, like student experience ebbs and flows in motivation. It seems obvious and even cliche for the new year to create a desire for a fresh start. That being said, I have some non-resolutions to continue the trajectory of success in my classroom.
1. Always keep student need at the forefront of every teaching decision made.
2. Ask kids what they need and provide it.
3. Keep expectations high but never unattainable.
4. Praise successes where appropriate without patronizing each person.
5. Provide engaging and rigorous learning opportunities that force synthesis and creativity
6. Develop unique student voices
7. Maintain clear and transparent communication with all parties involved.
8. Connect all learning to standards and more importantly life.
9. Be flexible and fair, yet consistent.
10. Be available and honest. Students deserve access and opportunity.